Monday 28 April 2014

Dancing outside the comfort zone

Have you ever tried to explain to an 8-year-old that sometimes it's good to do things we don't want to do?  (Like going to school, or tidying up.)  If so, any tips gratefully received!

Confession: I'm trying to explain the same thing to myself today, not jut the 8-year-old.  Anyone who's read this post might have surmised that I recently took (and passed - phew!) my advanced driving test.  It was something I had talked about doing 'one day' but 'one day' never came because, deep down, I didn't want to.  Like a child who doesn't want to go to school.  However, the husband had other plans, and gave it to me as a present - the one present he's given me that I can honestly say I haven't enjoyed one bit!  But I'm still grateful for it.

I'm grateful because I proved to myself that I can succeed at something even when it's hard, and scary, and way outside my comfort zone.

I am telling myself this repeatedly today because I seem to have committed to something else which makes me want to squirm and run away: I am going to a dance group this evening.  I mean, what on earth possessed me?  Why did I think this was a good idea?  (And it did seem like a good idea, weeks ago when I signed up.)  I am the person who, while innocently dancing at a friend's 16th birthday party many years ago, was crushed by a so-called friend murmuring in my ear, "I'm going to buy you a metronome."

But I'll go, and if it's excruciating, I'll leave and not go back.  On the other hand, it might be the most fun I've had in ages.  Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment