Tuesday 29 April 2014

You must do the thing you think you cannot do

Apparently it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said "You must do the thing you think you cannot do."  Ma'am, I salute you.

Yesterday evening, as I was walking to my dancing adventure, several times I nearly turned around and went home.  I almost had the perfect excuse when I realised I'd got the wrong venue and nearly walked into a Quaker meeting.  (Which would have been interesting in its own way, based on the one I attended once years ago, but not what was on my agenda for yesterday evening.)  Then the first room I found at the correct venue was full of line dancers.  Not what I was expecting, and another potential turn-tail-and-flee moment.

Once I was through the correct door, there was no going back.  And after five minutes, I was glad.  Having only danced at weddings in recent years, it only took me five minutes to rediscover the wild-dancing (if rhythmically-challenged) teenager I once was.  And because 5 Rhythms dance has no steps and no rules, my lack of rhythm didn't matter.  Nobody was watching me anyway; they were too busy following their own beat.

Dancing madly (as, I promise you, I did) may not be for everyone.  My family would have been mortified to see me.  But please, if only once, do the thing that scares the pants off you.  It may just be the most fun you've had in ages.  It was for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment